I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

July 1, 2014

Anzac Apple Crumble



It's past the Winter Solstice- the shortest day of the year


This means that the weather gets colder, the snow on the mountains creeps lower, and it's definitely time for comfort food


Apples have been a ridiculous price lately, only 99c per Kilo, so when I staggered in with about 5 kilos the other day MiddleC and littlej both screamed "Apple Crumble!" After a brief negotiation over who would peel that many apples, I agreed


I always use coconut in my crumble recipe, I think it adds a lot of crunch and texture, and the addition of gf oats really does make it taste like a traditional Anzac Biscuit recipe. So despite it being July instead of April 25th, here we have one of my Family's Comfort Food Favourites- Anzac Apple Crumble!


Yummy Topping Ingredients



Anzac Apple Crumble

Whole heap of Apples
1 cup gf Oats
1 cup shredded Coconut
1/2 cup gf Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup melted Butter
1/4 cup Golden Syrup
big pinch Salt



Peel and chop your apples into nice big chunks. If you chop them too small they'll just break down into mushiness




Pop them into a fairly shallow greased dish




Mix together everything else




The best way to do this is to use your hands and squish, squish, squish away




Pat the crumble topping evenly over the apples- make sure it's not too loose but fairly nice and compact




Bake at 170*C for between 45 mins and an hour, or until the topping is nicely browned and cooked through and the apples are softened inside




Let the crumble sit for about 15minutes or so to set the topping




Dish up lovely big spoonfuls and serve with lots of lovely lactose free cream, ice cream or custard




Gorgeous crunchy topping, soft juicy apples, softly smooth cream.... yummo!



So Dear Readers, do you have a Family Favourite dessert, and how are you keeping warm this Winter?




 

27 comments:

  1. Yum! Two of my favourite things together. We've been buying lots of apples too. They're hard to resist at that price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that price they're almost free, aren't they Lorraine :) xox

      Delete
  2. oh my! Am now craving apple crumble like never before!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks fantastic. That said, my heart and soul belong in the tropics so for me my favourite dessert is still pavlova :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pavlovas are pretty much my favourite desset in the world too Gary. Better than chocolate, better than cheesecake, bettter than........Yum!

      Delete
  5. Wow that looks fantastic. My heart and soul are tropical so my favourite dessert is still a pavlova :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pavlovas are pretty much my favourite desset in the world too Gary. Better than chocolate, better than cheesecake, bettter than........Yum!

      Delete
  6. Oh what a neat idea! How gorgeous, it's bursting with crumbly apple goodness :) Apple crumble was most definitely our family dessert. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I like fruit in desserts to cut down the sweetness a little, but the topping on this is sweet indeed!

      Delete
  7. What a neat idea! How gorgeous, it's bursting with crumbly apple goodness :) Apple crumble was definitely our family dessert x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I like fruit in desserts to cut down the sweetness a little, but the topping on this is sweet indeed!

      Delete
  8. What a brilliant idea! I think I need this to try out my new oven which I've been too scared to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck MsIHua, don't let it know you're afraid- appliances can smell fear and will break down just to tease you! :)

      Delete
  9. You can't beat a crumble for afters - loving the coconut in the topping too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw the title and started swooning. What a marvelous idea. There are apples everywhere and I want this right this minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Maureen! At least the ingredients are definitly easy to find in season right now :)

      Delete
  11. This is such a great comfort dessert. I love how thick your topping is and how the recipe really does read like an ANZAC biscuit. I agree that coconut is a lovely addition to the topping. Using fresh apples is always better than canned - as long as you can find someone willing to peel and core them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. I always use fresh apples Charlie, the tinned ones are too mushy for me. I found that the promise of dessert overcame any teenage reluctance to contribute to family affairs, and the peeling was done in record time :) xox

      Delete
  12. Nothing nicer than apple crumble... except maybe my baked custard as an accompaniment! Gorgeous recipe Becca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Liz! We've definitly got a perfect match indeed :)

      Delete
  13. Aww...so you ended up peeling all the apples after "a brief negotiation"? LOL. But look at the result. hmmm, the crumble smells good by the way it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went something like this Julie... 'No apples, no dessert'! I have to admit the whole house did smell wonderful :)

      Delete
  14. Boy oh boy its cold at the moment. This time of year, every year... I question why I live in the Berra. Brrrrrr.... although the newest addition to my wardrobe, a pair of microwaveable slippers are proving to be a winner, that person needs a massive high five and fist bump. :)
    Mmmmm... apple pie is the best, I dont know if you remember, my grams used to make the best pie. #yarm. In recent years, the fam bamb have been skipping traditional desserts and just devouring a block of fruit & nut chocolate. I know... lazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is cold Anna, but I saw blossom out today that gives me hope :) Apples over chocolate for me anyday though!

      Delete