I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

January 28, 2014

Mango Pudding for Chinese New Year

 


Gong Hey Fat Choy Dear Readers!


This weekend heralds in the start of Chinese New Year- a time for families to get together, celebrate, and of course feast! What a great excuse to head out to some of my favourite restaurants and indulge in a few dishes at Yum Cha as well

I wanted to post a recipe or two as my celebratory contribution, but there are so many traditional New Year foods and superstitions that I don't want to step on any toes and have decided to keep it simple with a very easy recipe for one of our favourite yum cha desserts- Mango Pudding

Now although it's such a simple recipe, I've made a few changes to make it lactose free and supermarket friendly. The usual Evaporated Milk has been switched out for Coconut Milk and I've opted for Gelatine instead of Agar Agar as it's easier to find. The flavour is only slightly different, and the set is just a little softer, but it still tastes terrific and is a fabulous ending to a heavy meal



 Mango Pudding- Yum Cha Style!



2 Cups Mango Puree
1 cup Coconut Milk or Cream
1/3 cup Castor Sugar
3 tsp Gelatine Powder
decent pinch of Salt



Pop the coconut milk, sugar, gelatine and salt into a saucepan and heat gently. Stir until the sugar and gelatine is all dissolved, but be careful not to let it boil or the gelatine will start to break down and your dessert might not set




Bring off the heat, then add to the mango puree and blend it all together thoroughly




See, gorgeous and smooth!




Pour into molds/ serving dishes and chill in the fridge for a few hours or until set through




Admittedly the yum cha dessert we know and love is usually a much brighter yellow, but mine is made nice and fresh and I think it tastes just as great- and bonus points for not making me sick with lactose either. Win win!


So Dear Readers, what celebrations does your family enjoy, and what is your favourite Yum Cha/Dim Sum dish?





 

19 comments:

  1. Gong Hey Fat Choy, lovely! Thanks for reminding me :O I am impressed with your creativity, as always. I'm craving yum cha, it's been so long! Love sui mai (spelling?!) the most.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you too Heidi! Those are always yummy, do you ever make your own? :)

      Delete
  2. Rebecca this is perfect for CNY but also because mangoes are so good nowadays! Gong Hei Fat Choy!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! There are so many varieties of mangoes now aren't there Lorraine- which is your favourite? I'm not too keen on the R2E2 ones though xox

      Delete
  3. Mango pudding!! In a fish mould! It doesn't get any more festive for CNY than that! Have a wonderful year of the Horse, darling! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that little carp mould in Songapore and have been wanting to play with it Celia, I finally remembered in time! I hope you have a wonderful time catching up with your family too sweetie xox

      Delete
  4. Gong Hey Fat Choy Bec... and what a beautiful recipe! You are always presenting recipes that are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lizzy- I see no reason at all why I should miss out on any deliciousness just because I'm InTolerant!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to make this. Definitely before the end of the mango season. This looks really good and a great way to celebrate the Chinese New Year. This will be the first Chinese dessert I've ever made! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope you enjoy it Charlie, I think the 'real' ones sometimes cheat and just use mango nectar and gelatine- but I like this one better! Let me know how you get on sweetie xox

      Delete
  6. How delicious!
    Anything with mango and coconut milk has got to be GOOD! I can't understand why it was ever made from evaporated milk :/
    What a lovely dessert, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I think it was just because tinned Carnation milk kept so well on the shelf and was handy. This one tastes better though! :) x

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this stuff and it's perfect for a treat on a hot day. I'm off to get some mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stock the freezer while they're in season too Amanda, so cheap at the moment! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Chef! Thanks for the great recipe :) I made it last night for my diabetic grandparents but used half the sugar. I also strained the mixture through a sieve to get it extra smooth.
    Ms Bureaucrat from http://eatandbemerryfortomorrowwediet.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The great thing about cooking is being able to tweak recipes to suit you and any InTolerances you have to deal with to keep your body happy. Good for you and thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  9. Its been a good year for mangoes here and I have a supplier with full trees, will make this instead of the many jars mango chutney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous Simcha, I wish you could send me a few crates too :) My parents used to get so many mangoes that they would feed them to the cows!! :)

      Delete
  10. I love mango pudding. Might do a few tweeks and swap the sugar for stevia and and I have agar agar in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete