I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

November 13, 2012

Blue-Belt Blueberry Lemon Muffins


















When littlej was in her very first week of Kindy (Prep) she came rushing out of class one afternoon bursting with news.

lj: I had a FIGHT!

Me: ????

lj: ThisbigboyhadKaitlinroundtheneckandshewascryingandherippedherdressandIcouldn'tseeateacher.....soIhithim!

Me: Then what happened?

lj: Nothing, so I kept hitting him

Me: And then what happened?

lj: I kept hitting him until he fell down

Me: Then what did you do?

lj: Then I ran

Me: I think that was a very wise decision

Littlej was a very tiny 5year old, and the boy in question was a (comparatively) huge hulking 9 or 10yr old, but that wasn't going to stop her defending her friend. Her teacher had a little chat with me, assuring me it was all under control, parents had been notified and not to be concerned.
As littlej wasn't worried I decided I wouldn't be either.
That was until Kaitlin's Mummy talked to me.
She and the other parents had been summoned to the principals office, along with any witnesses; apologies had been made, restitution for the torn dress was made, suspension had been given, and reports had all officially been made.... Except for littlej.

Littlej had certainly been involved, would she get suspended too? My baby with this on her permanent record at the very start of her school career!
I went to her teacher, who was just lovely, and she explained that this was indeed a bit of a tricky situation.

Littlej certainly had struck another student (repeatedly), but it was in defence of her friend; he was much bigger; there was no teacher present; it wasn't behaviour the school thought she was in the habit of committing; and if the school recognised her part in this little action she would have to be suspended and punished indeed. The big boy was a known bully; it probably did him good to be taken down a peg or two, and he was unlikely to go looking for revenge once his friends found out he had his butt kicked by a kinder student; the teachers were actually impressed with littlej's bravery; and the best course of action was to pretend she hadn't been involved at all.
That was the Official School Decision.



Littlej has never looked back.
She is a lovely little lady- very clever, very confident... and she also now takes karate.

This week she recieved her Blue Belt. We don't condone violence as a general rule, but it's always a good idea to know how to defend ourselves- or our friends :) if necessary. That's a good thing.



littlej's Metalwork candlestick project





















Littlej was called in to see one of her teachers this week.

You see, it's the time of year when selections are made for next year classes, and students are asked to give in their preferences for electives. Littlej had chosen Metal Work (shop) class and her male teacher was concerned. He nicely explained that his regular students were mainly boys, and not ones who were in her academically fast-tracked classes, but ones who may misbehave from time to time (he used the word Miscreants), and was she sure this was the class for her?

Littlej said she just smiled at him, and said : That's OK Sir, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

You see, it's not about violence, it's about confidence.


In celebration of littlej's Blue Belt, I made her some Blueberry Lemon Muffins


They're kind of like littlej- muffins are sweet and cute but have a bit of substance as well. Not just pretty and precious like a cupcake :)






















3 cups gluten free Self Raising Flour (or plain flour and baking powder)
2 1/2 cup lactose free Milk, or dairy free alternative
2/3 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Oil
pinch of Salt

















cupful or so of Blueberries
2 big tablespoons Lemon Curd (yes I know homemade is better, but this was handy)
Lemon Zest



In one big bowl, mix the flour (baking powder if using), salt and sugar



















In a different bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and oil



















Add the wet mix into the dry along with the lemon zest, curd and blueberries



















Gently mix together. Don't beat it too hard or the muffins won't be nice and tender, a few lumpy bits are just fine



















Pop the mix into muffin pans, and if you want a bit of gratuitous yumminess, top with a little dob of extra lemon curd.
I used 1/4 cup of mix each and made 2 dozen little lovelies



















Bake at about 200*C for 20 minutes, leave in the pan for about 5 minutes then place them on a rack to cool down totally



















Delicious! But please don't jump in while still piping hot or the lemon curd will melt your mouth off, the sugar heats to lava temperature!






















So Dear Readers, did you take Self-Defence classes when you were younger, and what are your tips for self-confidence?








.

25 comments:

  1. Hello Bec, your recipe sounds wonderful! I love blueberry muffins so much. I have not forgotten about your prize or lunch, it's just crazy busy at the moment. Email your address if you like. I would still like to catch up, when time permits. The new job is keeping me tied to the desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems Lizzy, life is always busy- especially at this time of year!

      Delete
  2. She is the cutest, sweetest and loveliest little girl ever. Big hugs to her from a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Littlej is my hero! I like to joke that I have my "white' belt in karate (the one that comes with the uniform when you buy it). I lasted all of 3 months and then got freaked out. I'm sure I got a enough out of it to help a little if I'm ever in need of self defense. My loud voice may also come in handy :)

    The muffins look so good - and appreciate the warning, as I typically scarf at least one hot anything out of the oven when I bake. Waiting 20-30 minutes for anything to bake is as much torture as I can take! Thanks for another inspiring post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A loud voice is a girls best friend! We were told at a self-defence class to scream out NO instead of HELP, as most people have stopped responding to that :(
      I learnt the hard way about the lava searing heat from the lemoncurd, so I felt it was a very neccesary caution indeed :)

      Delete
  4. A brave little girl indeed. I love the idea of lemon curd in the muffins. I must try - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina!She's just teriffic :) I love blueberries and lemon, it's such a perfect match!

      Delete
  5. Go LittleJ! I'm super impressed that someone so young has such confidence! Good for her! And the muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confidence is definitely not one of littlej's issues! Thanks indeed :)

      Delete
  6. Good for LittleJ. What a courageous little girl and what do the authorities think would have been better - for her to have stood by and watched her friend being thumped by a known bully? How ridiculous that there was even a discussion regarding what to do with her act of bravery - she's the hero in this story. Love how she now has a blue belt and how you made something 'blue' for her. And I loved your advice about getting a tracking devise inserted in Archie's shoe - too funny! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie! It was certainly a worry for a while, but thank goodness wiser heads prevailed :)
      I'm hoping you'll do all the research on trackers for Archie, so I can use them when littlej is older :) Good luck!

      Delete
  7. How adorable LittleJ is:) That's my kind of girl! She was fortunate, my friend's son defended another boy and he got suspended for it. No wonder bullies get away with their nasty business! I think your gluten-free muffins look full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thankyou indeed!I hope you give them a try :)
      Isn't it ridiculous, there is such a difference between defence and abuse isn't there, and so stupid that it gets so mixed up.

      Delete
  8. Aww I want to give littlej a big hug for being such a good friend! :D And for taking the bully down a peg or two :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! littlej is definitely someone to have at your back in a sticky situation :)

      Delete
  9. She's a star, Becca. Good for littleJ!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia! She's never hit anyone again, but it's good for her to know she can if she ever had to :)

      Delete
  10. Well - what a splendid daughter! You must be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amanda, we think she's a keeper for sure :)

      Delete
  11. Little J is a little star!! What a gorgeous, confident and brave young lady. Very impressive. I never did self-defence class, but I suppose growing up with brothers gave me confidence to stand up for myself ;) Gorgeous celebratory muffins!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie :)
      I bet that sure would do it Heidi! Boys are so much rougher in their play than girls, aren't they? We have 3 young boys living behind us, and I swear sometimes you think they are trying to kill each other- then they burst out laughing and start all over again!

      Delete
  12. These muffins look lihgt and dainty and perfect for the brave little j. A cute and inspiring story. Congratulations on all the driving and rushing to classes to get the bluebelt , Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks indeed! It sure is a commitment having kiddies isn't it? :) Lucky they're worth it!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete