I have always considered myself quite a nice person. I like food of all shapes, flavours and colours. From every country and continent. I don’t discriminate, I am an equal opportunity eater. It’s only the doctors who say I’m intolerant. And certain foods who refuse to tolerate me. They certainly refuse to recognise and respect my right to eat them without major physical discomfort and distress.


Gluten and lactose are not my friends.


Despite the negative attitudes surrounding me from many of those I love best, (cakes, ice cream, hot toast) I decided to become a chef. Not always easy when you live in a bread and milk filled world. I like to think that this has helped me become a better person as I embrace my differences and refuse to let the gluten get me down. I believe InTolerance. I am the InTolerant Chef.

Food should not be about what you can’t eat, but what you can and what you enjoy eating. This blog is about my journey of cooking and eating and discovery. It’s not a definitive guide to allergy awareness nor do my intolerances make me an expert. Your body is your responsibility, not mine. I only know what works for me.


I can tell you this..... No glutens were harmed in the making of this website.

March 5, 2012

Gluten Free Chinese Dumplings






We love Yum Cha.









Except that in our house we call it Yummy Cha actually.


But it can be so hard to find some lovely little dumplings that suit gluten free eating. I'm very lucky to have a great little place nearby that caters for me so very well. We go every couple of weeks and any problems I've had I put down to lack-of-vigilance on my part, not to any slackness from our favourite restaurant. The staff know our dishes and in case of problems I have little cards with 'No Wheat' written in Chinese that I keep in my wallet.



Eating out is always a tricky issue with food InTolerances, and I understand how many of my friends prefer not to roll the dice with nasty symptoms, but I say Buyer Beware and as always, you eat at your own risk. I choose in this case to risk it!

For those of you, Dear Readers, who are more sensitive or more sensible than I am, I recently found a great recipe for gluten free dumpling wrappers in a magazine page ad for Kikkoman Soy Sauce.





















Did you know that Kikkoman now make a really nice gluten free soy sauce too? Made with soybeans, rice, salt and water, it tastes just like the 'real' thing too!

The dumpling recipe is actually for gyozas, but I turned mine into little dumplings and rice rolls instead. I found the best results with steaming, boiling the little lovelies mushed them up too much. The result of steaming is a lovely slippery texture, just like the stuffed rice rolls at yum cha, yummy!























Gluten free Dumplings

300gr cooked peeled Taro
1 Tb Salt
3 tsp gluten free Baking Powder
1kg pkt Glutinous Rice Flour
2 tb oil
500ml Water

I steamed my Taro to avoid it becoming soggy and gluggy. Then let it cool.

Process taro with the salt and baking powder



















With the motor running, add the oil, a little water and a little flour. Continue like this until it's all used and the mixture forms a dough.



















Turn out and knead for a few minutes until nice and smooth. Rest for about half an hour.
















While it's resting, make a yummy filling for your dumplings:

















300gr Pork Mince
300gr Chicken Mince
1/2 cup finelychopped Water Chestnuts
1/2 cup finely chopped Silverbeet from my garden
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
Big Tablespoon minced Garlic
Big tablespoon minced Ginger
1 Tbsp gluten free Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Chinese Cooking Wine
1 finely chopped Hot Chilli

Combine all the ingredients for the filling, and mix around thoroughly. The best way is with your hands, it keeps the texture much better this way. Squish, squish, squish!

Ready To Roll:

Roll out the dumpling dough nice and thin, about 2mm thick, on some baking paper. Dust with a bit more rice flour if needed. Then cut to the desired size with a scone or cookie cutter.

















Place a small spoonful of meat filling on one half of the round, leaving a bit of a clear border, then wet the inside edge slightly with a wet finger and fold in half. Pinch the edges firmly.

















Place on some more baking paper while you make enough little dumplings to fill your steamer.

















Place your dumplings in a lined steamer basket over vigorously boiling water, and steam until just cooked through. My steamer took about 10 minutes, but it was a bit bigger than the pot so wasn't as efficient. The outside should be opaque and nice and firm, but with a bit of spring to it.
















Serve your little lovelies with Kikkoman Dipping Sauce for a bit more yumminess

Dipping Sauce

1/3 cup Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 finely chopped small chilli
Splash of water to dilute saltiness to taste

Mix all ingredients together and allow to sit while cooking the dumplings so flavour develops




















As you can see Dear Readers, my arms gave out about halfway through making dumplings, so I turned them into lovely steamed rice rolls. I loved them just as much this way, and actually thought they looked prettier with the filling showing just a little at the ends. It's up to you, present them as you will, just be happy in the yummiest of gluten free yum cha around!




















So Dear Readers, which way do you think looks the nicest, and do you enjoy Yum Cha too?








.

64 comments:

  1. Yummy cha is definitely a good way to describe it. And that's great that you have a card in Chinese so that there isn't any confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waw! You have made your own dough also! A great job! The gf Chinese dumplings look irresistable & ooh so appetizing too! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That is mighty impressive. I have zero patience in kneading dough, so I salute you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sure a challenge at the moment Msihua, but I also have a kneading hook on my Kenwood. Nothing wrong with a bit of help :)

      Delete
  4. These look absolutely wonderful! I know mochi-style rice dumplings and dumplings made with rice paper, but the ones you made above are most often made with wonton sheets (I think), so wheat flour all over! :S I'm excited and happy to see that you can mae those gluten-free as well, because I've always wanted to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rice dumplings too Kath, so nice and chewy! Yes, these are usually made with wonton sheets which are so easy to get- just not gluten free :( I hope you give these a try, and let me know how you go with them!

      Delete
  5. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I love, love dumplings - these look absolutely fabulous! Can't wait to give this recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ina, you are more than welcome! Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  6. How sensible to have a card in Chinese. These dumplings look delicious and not too fiddly to make. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saves a lot of confusion- and tummy aches! Definitely not as fiddly as you think GG :)

      Delete
  7. i never make my own dumpling wrappers but i you've inspired me! i love the look of the rolls, yum. and that wheat free in chinese card is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muppy, you are so clever it won't be any challenge to you at all! The rolls are my favourite too :)

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed - dumpling 'pastry' made out of fresh taro?! I bet they were mighty tasty too. Yum. Now I need a bit of yum(my) cha action....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suprised me too Spicegirl! They could probably be made with a mix of rice flour and tapioca flour , but fresh is best :)

      Delete
  9. That's impressive. I bet they were all eaten in a huge rush and you had none left over. I didn't know you could make 'pastry' from taro. I'll have to try this and thanks for letting me know about GF Kikkoman - I haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, they were scoffed down so fast it was a blur! Let me know how they go if you try them- sepecially if you like them :), and I got my Soy Sauce at Coles.

      Delete
  10. YUMMY Cha ahhahaha... That's gold, I love it! It's just like the other time when my friend made Teriyaki Chicken and called it "TeriYUMMY" Chicken LOL! Anyway, it's great how you're able to share your food intolerance experience and knowledge with people. It's definitely helping a lot of people. Love how you made your skins from scratch! I need to pick up the slack and start doing that too =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could go some TeriYummy right now Winston! I bet you could make them in your sleep, no problem :)

      Delete
  11. We are fans of yum cha too, but only enjoy it occasionally. Love your step by step instructions to these delicious dumplings... yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you like to go for Yum Cha Lizzy? There's a newish place in Civic I've been wanting to check out.
      Step by step is the easiet way for me to process my thoughts!

      Delete
  12. All I know is that after being born and raised in San Francisco and growing up with some of the most wonderful Dim Sum, you have me completely completely drooling right now! I want to make these right now (or at least eat the ones you have made already, LOL). What a fabulous recipe. I am really looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim,you lucky thing you! We have fairly limited choice here :( Let me know how you go if you give them a try!

      Delete
    2. Hi all, my team is organizing a team lunch- and u guessed it! We r yum cha-ing! It would be great if u could let me know what gluten free people like me can eat? My guess is rice rolls without soy, and congee...and maybe Veggies? Is that it?! :(

      Delete
    3. Sorry, but I wouldn't think to advise you as each restaurant is different and probably use different ingredients. I have little cards made up in Mandarin that say I am wheat free and explain what I can't eat- soy sauce etc. And ask the waitress to check with the kitchen and adviser me.
      I go to a great place where I can get most items, including hargow and most dumplings with no problems, so don't write yourself of

      Delete
  13. Your dough looks stunning! So silky smooth :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thankyou Nic! I was a nice smooth dough, not too dry or crumbly.

      Delete
  14. When it comes to Asian food I just cant decide what my favourite is. Yum Cha is up the top for me though, love it absolutely love it. Dumplings are one of my weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you miss the great place in Sydney! We'll make some next time I come up :)

      Delete
  15. I LOVE yum cha! But haven't ventured into the world of gluten-free dumpling dough yet, so it's been awhile since I've eaten them. I love pot stickers the best, a little crispy and little soft, mmmmmm. Totally loving this recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pot Stickers, Yummo! I hope you have luck with some gluten free ones soon, I haven't found any pre-made yet so the only answer to my cravings was to make it myself :)

      Delete
  16. You're a genius, love. I didn't think it was possible to have gluten-free yum cha, and certainly not possible to make such perfect looking dim sum without Hong Kong flour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Celia, its amazing what adventures desperate appetite cravings can lead you to! Luckily I'm determined :)

      Delete
  17. I'm terribly impressed with you here, as always :) I LOVE yummy cha. But always more than ever if I've had a few too many cheeky beverages the night before ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks MRS Heidi! Perfect hair-of-the-dog pick me up indeed!

      Delete
  18. Dear Intolerant Chef,

    It's pretty impressive making these gluten free chinese dumplings from scratch let alone those cards to avoid any confusion :)I love yum cha too, good hangover cure with the pork and century egg congee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chopinand, Heidi agrees with you and the hangover cure :) I have those cards in the language of a few of my favourite cuisines, I don't see why I should miss out on all the fun!

      Delete
  19. My family absolutely LOVES yum char and goes at least once a fortnight or otherwise we'd miss it too much. I like that you have little Chinese cards (quite similar to the ones I write for my nana when she is travelling to the airport alone!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky family Lucy, the family that bonds over Yum Cha is fortunate indeed! I hope you're not putting me in the same Nanna basket- I've got a long way to go yet!! :)

      Delete
  20. WOw, i love making dumplings but never had the courage to make my own pastry..

    thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give them a try Dolly, it's so much easier than it looks!

      Delete
  21. I LOVE yummy cha! We call it that too :P We make some dumplings at home but I haven't made the dough on my own. It looks amazing! Love trying new things like this and seeing if I can make it as well as they can. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Bec, you are a total whizz in the kitchen. Sooooo impressed. Dinner at your digs... Yes Please! Love yum cha, although last time we all went the food was gluggy and very salty, we haven't been back since. :( I'll have to try your place down the road. Great recipe hon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. Can I ask how you got the chinese language cards done? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine at www.SelectWisely.com a couple of years ago. There are probably a few more places out there now on the internet, but these guys were just great. My Mum took them to China on a trip and had no problems at all. Good luck!

      Delete
  24. Also, where did you get the chinese rice wine that is wheat free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of time searching and asking shop assistants for translation advice! You can use dry Sherry instead, or even ginger wine would be nice.

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much. I'll give that a go.

      Delete
  25. How many dumpling skins does the recipe make? Do you think this would work with hand mixing? These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot! It all depends on how big you make the dems to start with :) Hand mixing is fine, but as I already had the food processor out to chop the Taro it was certainly easier to keep going!

      Delete
  26. Is taro ok to just steam, I though there was a need to cook for some time in liquid to leech out the toxins before its edible? May have imagined this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taro is just fine. We've had it many times with no ill effects, I think you must be thinking of something else?

      Delete
  27. I just googled gluten free wonton wrappers and found you. I also found that you are in Canberra - me too! Can you divulge which restaurant you go to for dumplings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philippa! I'm so sorry but the restaurant was Master So, and it has shut down and the owner and chef have split up and moved on :(

      Delete
    2. Do you have any good recommendations or favourite InTolerant friendly places?

      Delete
  28. I bookmarked this web. I will come back to continue learning about your web design.I’m glad Yahoo pointed me to it. I was able to get the know-how I was searching so badly for days now.Thank You very much for your really good web page. Have a good day.It’s very useful for everyone for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    keramiek tafelblad

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, I know this is an old blog, but I'm wondering where in Canberra you get your taro? thanks Bec :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Bec, I'm not gone - just on hiatus due to health stuff for now :) You can get taro from some of the traders at the Belconnen markets and I've also seen it at the Asian shop in Belconnen mall as well as various Asian shops around town. Good luck and let me know how you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for give me information on this topic. you have sharing very nice post.
    The Top 5 Tips for Business and Personal Success

    ReplyDelete
  33. i was looking for this recipe thanks for sharing and help
    plak beha kopen

    ReplyDelete